New EKG Monitoring Products
We are seeking new ideas to replace the existing EKG lead-wires used throughout hospitals, in nursing homes, and in homes for the purpose of monitoring patients. The goal of this search is to identify cost-effective disposable EKG leads, more-easily sterilizable EKG leads or wireless technologies — any of which would help reduce the current risk contamination and the potential spread of infections.
- Re-usable EKG leads (also called ECG leads) are currently cleaned manually by healthcare workers or caregivers, as they cannot be sterilized by steam or hydrogen peroxide, which is the common practice with many other shared devices and surfaces in a healthcare setting.
- Re-usable EKG leads and cables are cleaned according to the manufacturer’s recommendation (typically a disposable wipe), however these products are difficult to clean as they have numerous “nooks and crannies” where a patient’s blood and body fluids can easily collect.
- EKG leads are often cleaned quickly due to fast turn-around times required, especially in a hospital setting.
Research points to EKG leads being a source of possible nosocomial pathogens which can develop into a potentially life-threatening infection. In a research study by the Cleveland Clinic, 62.8% of the lead wires showed bacterial growth and of those, 37.8% were of at-or potential-risk bacteria. Hospital infections, which can be serious and even life-threatening, occur on average in one out of every 20 patients admitted to the hospital.
Disposable EKGs are commercially available and eliminate the possibility of contamination, but are expensive versus the re-usable leads which are often provided at no cost with the monitoring system.
Possible innovations may include
- Sterilizable lead wires which can go through standard sterilization protocols
- Low cost disposable leads
- Wireless leads
- Any other innovative idea that could serve the same purpose
Do you have an innovation to replace the existing EKG leads? If so, we want to hear it!
Your submission should be unique so that it’s protectable, although having an existing patent is not necessary. Tell us the highlights, but don’t forget the details. Simply fill out our confidential and secure online submission form. Upload images, sketches and/or video since this helps our evaluation team to better envision your idea. Please limit any videos to two minutes or less.
Innovators may submit ideas confidentially and securely at www.EdisonNationMedical.com/EKG through July 28, 2014.
Ideas submitted to our confidential and secure online portal are vetted through an in-depth review process led by our team of medical, product development and legal experts. Submissions will be evaluated based on medical efficacy, the strength of any potential intellectual property, and an overall market needs and business assessment. Our end goal is to commercialize each qualified product idea and, when we are successful, we share licensing royalties with the inventor and celebrate together.
Click here for more details on Innovation Searches.
Edison Nation Medical runs Idea Searches to match your inventions with the needs of the world’s largest brands.
Simply tell your invention’s story through our secure Innovation Search system. Our team reviews each idea and narrows the submissions down to the finalists, which are presented to the search sponsor.
Ready to get started? Join For Free